in which there is an attempt at commitment

Folks talk about Wednesdays being the WORST, but for me, Tuesdays offer up the greatest challenge. Mondays are terrific, full of promise and excitement and plans, and Wednesdays are my half- way point- almost home free! By Thursday I can almost smell the weekend and I’m starting to plan out time with Sam and friends, and hell, then Friday comes and I’m an unstoppable task- slaying machine. Tuesdays, though, can seem bleak and endless, these awful islands of suck just stinking up my week. What do you do with a Tuesday? You wait out a Tuesday. Depending on where you’re working, sometimes you merely hunker down and endure.

On a fundamental level, though, I object to waiting out entire days; I think of this action as “chewing time,” and find it a less than ideal way to spend my one and only life. I know I’m going to need to waste some time, somewhere along the line, but the less I can intentionally fritter away, the better.

I’m looking for ways to perk up my Tuesdays, give them life and energy, some direction, maybe something I can anticipate. In the meantime- and along those lines- I’ve decided to make try to Tuesdays a recurring post day. I’ve been tracking my search terms lately (lookit that, being a responsible blogger and EVERYTHING) and I’ve noticed that I’m still getting hits for some of my older recurring posts— things like my lists of Very Good Things, which- yeah, why aren’t I doing that any more again? Those need their own day back, too. I like the regularity and routine of those, and the way they spark community and conversations. Let’s get back to some of that, friends.

I’ve also been doing some routine maintenance on my poor, rickety old mac, which has meant digging through old photos (my heart!). I take a LOT of pictures, y’all. Not just on my cell phone- I pretty regularly have a PAS in my bag, and I drag my DSLR everywhere, too. It’s finally dawned on me that maybe, just maybe those images might be more useful than just blog fodder and making Kiddo & Zeke feel better about being away from the dogs.

So welcome to the new Tuesdays around here, in which I’ll be posting images with their respective color palettes; we used to work from photos quite a lot at the studio, and I still dye this way as a personal challenge pretty frequently, but I like doing this as inspiration for textile colorwork, painting, felting, drawing, collage— anything, really. It’s just FUN. Anything I can do to brighten up this day- which really does seem to drag along for me, it’s the worst of all seven- that’s a blessing.

4573234938_6eb5df2f6c_o-palette

How’s your Tuesday going? What’re you doing to get through the week? And who is coming to MDSW this weekend? If you’ve got plans and they include being at the Howard County Fairgrounds in Friendship, MD this Saturday & Sunday, come see me at the Cooperative Press booth. I’m the short one with even shorter hair, probably not too far from the fellow with the beard. Trust me, you’ll know the one. I’ll be passing out hugs to anyone who’s up to date on their shots (not kidding!) and generally being a goof. Come say hi!

One thought on “in which there is an attempt at commitment

1. Mechele
    May 3, 2016 at 1:04 pm

See you at the show this weekend. Our “gIrls weekend” tradition going on around 18 years now! Woot! The excitement of it never goes away. 🤗

• May 4, 2016 at 1:38 pm

It’s such a great show, right? I hear its looking like rain this year- another MDSW tradition, but after the weekend we had last year I just can’t complain. See you there!

2. MsVicki
    May 3, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Save me a hug, it’s just ONE of the things you do so well!

• May 4, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I can’t believe I missed Homespun this year! SO looking forward to seeing you and your crew at MDSW.

3. May 3, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Me!!! Me!! I have a surprise for you too…(giggle, giggle).

• May 4, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I can’t wait to see you- YOU are the surprise, silly!

4. Pamela
    May 3, 2016 at 5:46 pm

You’ll be at MDSW?!?! Kris and Zoe and I will all be there on Saturday!!!

• May 4, 2016 at 1:43 pm

HOORAY!! Come find us. CP booth, out by the working dogs, where the sheep went on walkabout a few years back— you remember all that excitement? I WANT TO SEE YOUR FACES.

5. Gail Rector
    May 4, 2016 at 12:29 am

I am fully vaxxed! But nowhere near where ever you are geolographically… I’d gladly have a hug and make it a shared one.
    re the photo… Oh What Lovliness!!!
    I paid the entrance fee for your Craftsy class and watched it straight through. That’s something I rarely do. It was fun learning and hanging out with you.
    Yeah that. My Craftsy class list may as well be a list of good intentions.
    My reward now for getting the kitchen organized and clean will be to dye some Bugga! (End cones purchased from the attic at SG)
    I even bought some citric acid from the bin at Capellas in Eugene.
    Best Intensions coming your way,
    Gail

• May 4, 2016 at 1:42 pm

I’m so glad you liked the class, Gail! It was wicked fun to make. My Craftsy class list is so long, I know what you mean- worse now, too, Stephannie Tallent just released a new class, so that’s been added to my queue (it’s gorgeous, a colorwork design class). Best of luck with your dye session!!

6. May 4, 2016 at 9:55 am

I share your views on Tuesdays – they’re way worse than Mondays!

Your picture of petunias reminds me of my mom’s window-boxes. When I was little and wanted to help her with her flowers, she’d put me to work dead-heading the petunias. I always hated that it left my hands vaguely sticky, but I loved the smell of the plants and the satisfying feeling of picking through the leaves to find and pinch off every single gone-by flower. Apparently my OCD started early. 😉

• May 4, 2016 at 1:46 pm

I *already* feel better now that we’re past Tuesday. It’s just a sticky gross sort of nothing day! I love your petunia memory. We’ve got morning glories starting in the front patch- I think, I didn’t plant them- and I’m hoping they’ll give us blooms too, although I’ll be doing the same to tend them. :/

7. The Knitwit
    May 8, 2016 at 6:24 pm

I love the idea of a regular Tuesday post especially with the color ideas!

Are you going to be at Stitches Midwest?

• May 10, 2016 at 9:42 am

We haven’t made plans for Midwest YET, but I love and miss that show so much! I’m really excited about starting regular posts back up- thanks for the enthusiasm! These have been fun to make. 🙂