in which there is a reminder (February is coming)

2016-badge

Hey, remember when some of us did a pen- pal thing and it was super fun? Let’s do that again.

In an effort to be prepared (always be prepared, always have a list, always know where your towel is, etc, etc), I’ve been carefully setting out all my stationary supplies and trying to dig up my fun pens & art stuff over the last few days. February is the Month Of Letters, and I want to be READY this year. I’ve missed the last few! I’ve picked up a pack of blank watercolor postcards to work on, too, and I’m really looking forward to playing with those. Who wants mail? Drop me a note with your address and we can be pen- pals. You don’t have to commit to a long- term correspondence if you’re nervous about what to write! There’s something depressing about just sending and receiving hum- drum, routine mail, though, and this really, really helps.

IMG_4576

I really like the afternoon light here, friends.

I’m also loading a bit of yarn into the Etsy shop tonight— I came upon a big box of heylookatthat yarns when we were packing up the backyard studio in Baltimore, and now that we are settling in I’m looking around for the last bits of space and thinking, okay, where can I trim? Yarn is squishy, but I still have a LOT. Couple that with how old and creaky my laptop is getting, and hey, I don’t think I really need all this stuff- definitely not as much as I need a new laptop, that’s for sure. Interested in contributing to the New (or at least, New- To- Me) Macbook Fund? It’s okay, you don’t have to care about that at all, you only need to be motivated to buy New- To- You yarn, and I’ve still got a fair amount of that to spread about.

il_570xN.784619387_sd77-1

Listing on Etsy can be problematic for a few reasons, not the least of which is their recommendations.

This came up when I loaded Etsy, by the way, and I’m sharing it because I’m already super low on wall space but someone should have it hanging in their house. Sometimes their recommendations are off the mark, but they got me right between the eyes with this one. Hallie, you had been hunting down textiles for your new walls, right? (Girl, also— I am making you a PAINTING, it’s kind of big; when do you land in your new place? I’m not sure how I’m shipping this yet, but I also need to suss out where.) I’ve been so pleased to see the trend of weavings and rugs as wall- hangings renewed; finding felt- paintings made me really happy, too. While knitting (and her very slightly less popular sister, crochet) remain relatively popular (as far as textile arts go) other handcrafts like felting, weaving, spinning, macrame, they seem to go through waves. It’s good to see them getting some well- deserved love.

Okay, don’t forget- LETTERS, who’s in? Send me an email if you want to get in on some snail mail.  That seems backwards, huh? I’ll be back after the weekend to talk about Friendsmas and Turduckens and very likely a whole bunch of snow, like everybody else on the eastern seaboard. Stay warm, friends.

One thought on “in which there is a reminder (February is coming)

1. Sue
    January 20, 2016 at 10:28 pm

HI Sarah:

I tried to send you my email so we could be pen pals in February. It kept coming up as a phishing site. When I overruled that, I just got a blank screen. Can you try the link again?

Thanks,

Sue

• January 22, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Thanks for letting me know about the link, Sue! I’ve updated- it should work now.

2. January 20, 2016 at 10:58 pm

I really don’t know how or when I signed up for your email list but I am glad. I read your story about your move.

Where does someone start to create a smaller life? Less stuff. I hate cleaning. If there were less stuff I could clean less. 🙂 Where do I start? I have thrown away a lot of stuff. I give away stuff. Still there is too much. Suggestions please. ♡ Bonnie On Jan 20, 2016 7:39 PM, “a smaller life” wrote:

> Sarah posted: ” In an effort to be prepared (always be prepared, always > have a list, always know where your towel is, etc, etc), I’ve been > carefully setting out all my stationary supplies and trying to dig up my > fun pens & art stuff over the last few days. February” >

3. Rachel
    January 22, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Hi! Recently I found the joy in writing (and receiving) letters again. That coupled with the fact that I really enjoy reading your words in this space, I would love to participate with you. That said, I can’t get your email ink to work. I think you’ll get mine with this comment…shoot me an email and we can exchange the particulars. This is a great idea!

• January 22, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Hey Rachel! I updated the link- thanks for letting me know it wasn’t working for you!

• Rachel
        January 24, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Hi Sarah — must just be me…I tried the link again on two different computers and it still won’t let me send an email (or even see your email address such that I can send from mine). Hmmmm…

• January 24, 2016 at 2:29 pm

So so frustrating! I’m at onmytiptoes (at)gmail.com- you’ll need to type it in/ cut and paste and fix the address, but at least it’ll work! ❤️