so let’s do this thing, then

I forgot how nice it can be to photograph things that stay still.

I forgot how nice it can be to photograph things that stay still.

I’d been holding off on starting my Epic Destash, thinking Oh, I’ll just wait until I have a big block of time and can blast through a chunk of it. The fact of the matter is, there really IS no big block of time to be had, so I’m doing the brighter thing and going at this piecemeal so the thing is done already. I came home from Weird Day Job this afternoon and just got going on getting the destash online. (Hey, we should talk about that some time; it is both weird to have a Day Job again, and said Day Job is also weird.)

So there’s a little bit of yarn up on my Etsy right now; it’s just a bit of caked- up Skinny Bugga from waaaaaaay back in the day, ZOMG. I was surprised at the level of attachment I had going on here; I had a hard time letting go to a few of these not because I wanted to do anything with them, but because I could remember how and when they were made, and with whom. I miss my team, and how we were. Who we were, ooof. But we’re still us, and these things are still here, and it’s just too awful if these things aren’t used. That’d be the biggest disservice of all, I think, so. So- take these off my hands, loves. We made these things so that they would be used. Let’s make some use of them.

I’ll be adding steadily to my silly little Etsy shop throughout the month. There is a bunch of stuff— fiber, yarn, tools; SG, CY, mill samples, samples from other dyers. If you’re looking for anything in particular, feel free to drop a comment and ask, but the chances of my having it are slim— it’s a smorgasbord, but a very random one, KWIM?

There are two skeins of each color, approx 795 yards total.

There are two skeins of each color, approx 795 yards total.

In the meantime, I have a random half- pound of Skinny sitting at my feet, sort of Easter- themed, I think. It’s free to whoever wins the Random Number Generator lottery—you’ll only have to pay shipping from Baltimore, MD.  Leave me a comment with your current favorite simple shawl pattern, because I really need something new to knit and I just can’t do another pair of mitts, I’m so over hands right now and cowls are great but kind of boring after the long winter. I’ll hit up the RNG on Thursday! Good luck, all.

One thought on “so let’s do this thing, then

1. Rebecca Levitan
    June 15, 2015 at 8:40 pm

If I win, do I get to pick it up? 🙂

I like westlake by Stephen west. It’s a funky little shawl

2. June 15, 2015 at 8:47 pm

I’m working on a Shaelyn shawl right now. Lace but it’s simple enough to memorize. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/shaelyn

Good luck with the de stashing, I understand that it can be hard to do!!

3. Robyn
    June 15, 2015 at 8:47 pm

I think you know how I feel about Anna Dalvi, and her patterns are so good that I find them a very straightforward knit. I adore her Fields of Malachite, and my next of hers will either be Memphis or Anubis.

4. Molly Johnson
    June 15, 2015 at 8:49 pm

I am so in love with Hitchhiker right now!

5. June 15, 2015 at 8:50 pm

I’m loving the Shaelyn pattern right now , it’s a little lacy but easy to memorize. Good luck with the destash, it can be really hard! http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/shaelyn

6. latifa
    June 15, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Just finished Romi’s 2015 Mystery Shawl! It was fun and pretty.

7. June 15, 2015 at 8:55 pm

I just finished http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/duane-park-triangle with some of my smaller amounts of handspun. I ended up using 1231 yards! You don’t have to make it that big but it was pretty mindless knitting. 🙂

8. Alicia Howard
    June 15, 2015 at 8:56 pm

I like Piper’s Journey. Easy garter stitch with and applied border.

9. Caitlin
    June 15, 2015 at 8:56 pm

You did say simple, right?
    Shows off hand painted yarns beautifully, though 🙂

10. Pia
    June 15, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Reclamation by Stefanie Japel- twofold- great, simple pattern and I work for Bureau of Reclamation these days!

11. June 15, 2015 at 9:04 pm

The destash thing is resonating with me big time. I’m trying to simplify down and it’s mostly the kitchen that’s been taking the brunt of it this week. I bought an Instant Pot and got rid of two crockpots, a rice cooker, an electric kettle, a yogurt maker and a donkey load of baking pans. I’m side eyeing one of the electric griddles as well. So Much Space left!!!

Anyway, I’m not partical to green but the pink, well, let’s say I’d love that and PIF the green.

My favorite simple shawl is the Weaver’s Wool Mini Shawl. Can’t figure out a link via Ipad but here it is typed out: web.archive.org/web/20071201091419/www.knitlist.com/2003/minishawl.htm

I hope you are well.

12. June 15, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Ooh, exciting! Have you knit any of the Melanie Berg 2/3 color stuff? I just knit Aviendha and it was simple and fun and dramatic.

13. Barbara Hoffman
    June 15, 2015 at 9:17 pm

I don’t love all of Stephen West’s patterns but I love Exploration Station. It was last year’s KAL and uses 4 colors of fingering or anything actually as long as you can do some math-fu. I like it because it was a way to learn a bunch of new stitches including brioche, which almost killed me.

14. Tan
    June 15, 2015 at 9:23 pm

I never thought of doing an etsy shop for a destash. Maybe I should.

15. Gail Rector
    June 15, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Romi’s Mystery 2015 Moon Shadows, is a lovely easy knit.

16. JenL
    June 15, 2015 at 9:35 pm

I just finished a Hitchhiker and loved it. Afternoon Tea is another good one.

17. amanda
    June 15, 2015 at 9:43 pm

My favorite mindless pattern is Brickless. Just enough interest to keep you thinking!

18. Sierra Hairie
    June 15, 2015 at 10:00 pm

I am a sucker for leftie. It is simple enough to knit in company but a couple of short rows so you don’t get bored. I am currently working on a test knit for Gingy that has sparkles.

19. Marie aka Rubenesque
    June 15, 2015 at 10:13 pm

I’m partial to the Wingspan shawl. All garter stitch, just a couple of stitch markers and the ability to count to three is all you need. Plus it can be scaled up or down depending on your mood and how much yarn you want to use up.

20. Lori
    June 15, 2015 at 10:16 pm

For simple, Derecho or the ever popular Color Affection.

21. Mary
    June 15, 2015 at 10:22 pm

I just found Psh from knitpicks and thought it looked interesting

22. strickenmadchen
    June 15, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Just started Dotted Rays tonight. Loving it so far!

23. June 15, 2015 at 11:28 pm

I need to make another Upper Cross shawl.

24. Tina L
    June 15, 2015 at 11:46 pm

I am knitting a color affection shawl, long rows of knitting with the color changes to keep it interesting.

25. June 16, 2015 at 5:22 am

I’ve knit two Light and Ups, simple but very quick and with my broad shoulders the size complements me more than some of the smaller shawls

26. June 16, 2015 at 8:19 am

Fusilli is an easy knit (total self promotion) ❤

27. Kathy
    June 16, 2015 at 8:25 am

Whenever I need an easy, wearable shawl I knit The Age of Brass and Steam. Adaptable, simple, elegant. Go for it!

28. Jeanne
    June 16, 2015 at 11:45 am

I love the Boneyard shawl. So simple, but leaves so much to your imagination!

29. Holly Sheridan
    June 16, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Lavalette was my first shawl and it’s nice an easy, yet it changes a bit every few rows to keep it interesting.

30. June 16, 2015 at 12:43 pm

After a 20 minute investment to learn the tunisian crochet stuff, afterwards Ennis (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ennis-shawl) is super easy and plays nicely with tonal yarn.

31. Beth Harris
    June 16, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Supersymmetry by stitchnerd is a fantastic shawl with great novel construction.

32. June 16, 2015 at 6:25 pm

I’ve been enjoying Guna (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/guna)- simple, striking, lovely! Plus, beads (or not)! I’m pretty into it 🙂

33. Jennifer Johnson
    June 16, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Age of Brass and Steam looks just so wearable to me but the one I am dying to cast on is French Cancan.

34. Sue
    June 16, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I just made Antarktis. It’s a great mindless knit.

35. June 16, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I knit an Elk Tooth shawlette in less than a week! I love the look of it though, the lace is easy but pretty.

36. Emma
    June 16, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Laura Aylor just released Therapy, and that’s going to be my next shawl. Simple garter stitch, stripes, and some short rows. It’s beautiful!

37. Shoshana
    June 17, 2015 at 1:51 am

I make an Ardent recently and found it wonderfully soothing – super easy to memorize, lots of soothing garter broken up with some simple mesh. Also super easy to just resize so you can use every last gram of yarn (which is what I did).

Several of Janina Kallio’s patterns are similar. Ardent was just really easy for me to envision wearing the shape

38. beginswithaC
    June 17, 2015 at 9:00 am

I just knit the Great Divide Shawl (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/great-divide-shawl) and found it very soothing, without being completely mindless.

39. thelostgeek
    June 17, 2015 at 9:30 am

my fave simple shawl is Hitchhiker and Lintilla, both by Martina Behm.

40. Jean
    June 17, 2015 at 9:58 am

I haven’t knit it but I like Ashburn by Melanie Berg. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ashburn

41. June 17, 2015 at 12:05 pm

The simple shawl that I wear most is a Motley.

42. June 17, 2015 at 12:31 pm

I’m currently working on Antarktis and it’s both gorgeous and simple to knit: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/antarktis

43. June 17, 2015 at 1:15 pm

My latest favorite simple shawl pattern is Trig Wrap by Xandy Peters.

44. June 17, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Age of Brass and Steam kerchief which I make into a shawl by doing an extra repeat.

Great for showcasing multicolor yarns in fingering or sportweight, like Bugga – as there’s enough stockinette for the multicolor parts, and the eyelets give enough interest that you don’t get bored.

45. Jody
    June 17, 2015 at 10:49 pm

I just finished Antarktis, and it’s simple and flexible.

46. Jenny
    June 17, 2015 at 11:55 pm

I want to knit Eris by Lisa Mutch. It is extremely simple, but has a very interesting construction.