the 26th list of Very Good Things, plus a puppy

You don’t need this on Flickr, I don’t think: it’s deliciously simple.

Things are stressful. Not bad, but stressful: so much going on, lots of moving pieces and things that need doing. Some of the things on my mind right now:

• SG Fall 2010 color release
  • SG Fall 2010 pattern releases
  • SG Winter 2010 colors (need 4 more colors, STAT!)
  • SG Winter pattern release (seriously, we’re already sending yarn)
  • Philly half- marathon in November (so soon!)
  • Stitches East in late October
  • two family visits next month
  • my brother-in-law moving in for a bit
  • making a room for my brother-in-law to move INTO
  • rearranging my kitchen and fiber room to create space
  • dogs
  • dirt
  • health
  • my brother; he’s still in Afghanistan and it’s been bad lately
  • being a good friend/ mom/ wife/ business partner/ boss/ artist
  • my aunt moving from the UK to the US tomorrow
  • finishing a pattern FOR A BOOK!
  • starting yoga teacher training this weekend!

You’ll notice that most of those things are GOOD things- some of them downright wonderful. My aunt is going to be within driving distance again! My sisters will be visiting with their partners! My brother-in-law is coming, and really, once I’ve sussed out the room that’s pretty lovely, too- I like a full house. Sussing out that room means I get to clear out more stuff and I love clearing out stuff. Getting rid of things is pretty much my favorite thing ever. New colors to work in, and a published pattern- how lucky can one girl get?

There are some not so lovely things in there, too, but they are the minority, and all of those not- so- lovely things are mostly out of my control: they’ll be what they will be. Dirt is forever. My brother is safe or he isn’t. I do what I can for my health but my disease is capricious.

This evening, I was worried half to death over all of these things that needed managing and doing and listing and caring for and all of a sudden it hit me: it isn’t that important.

Almost everything I’m worrying over today will be forgotten or unimportant five years from now.

It’s very liberating- like suddenly coming up for air. Getting all caught up in it and by it is just… silly. Just like that, I’m not overwhelmed anymore; I’m carefully working through the most pressing things, one by one, as they come.

How lovely.

So that’s what I’m grateful for: that’s the entirety of my 26th list of Very Good Things, because it’s such an enormous and enormously lovely Very Good Thing that it deserves its own list. Oh- and of course, my most recent addition to my religious tract collection: a one million dollar bill.

Also, have some puppy. How could I be stressed out with this little guy following me around?

One thought on “the 26th list of Very Good Things, plus a puppy

1. September 20, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Hang in there sweetie! It will all “get sussed” in time. The Fall preview looks amazing, your new colors are excellent, and you are going to make a hell of a yoga teacher:) Thank you for the puppy; that is love personified, yes?

• September 20, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Thank you, love. That means the world to me. And seriously, how did I ever live without dogs?

2. mel
    September 23, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I have been meaning to tell you all year how much your lists have inspired me, and I love that one statement. Perspective is a game changer and it’s so easy to lose sight of in the daily fray. Thank you for sharing it. I’ve wanted to find a way to document all the good stuff in my life for too long and after receiving an assignment in a yoga workshop this spring (and resisting, and resisting!) I finally started a journal and documenting the things I’m grateful for. It’s important, and I could never figure out how to do it before or make time for it or whatever, simple as it seems.

And, I know I’m writing you a book, but I started my teacher training last weekend and wanted to wish you so much good stuff in yours. How awesome! For myself, I’m not sure that I will teach, but I’m diving deep on the learning. I hope your first weekend is awesome – I am sure that it will be. After all my nerves, the first hour was enough to tell me that I’m exactly where I need to be (with exactly the right people, too.) xoxo

• October 30, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Mel,

I should have responded earlier- how did I forget? I’m so sorry.

My lists- a form of a gratitude journal- they save me, some weeks. I’m so glad you started doing it, too- it’s a great way to keep track of all the good things we had going on at any time, even the hard ones.

I’m still not sure I’ll teach yoga, either- okay, not much, at least. I want to work with the disabled, using yoga, but I see that as more of a one- on- one than a class gig, you know? I just love getting into the nitty gritty of yoga itself. I find I’m suddenly strangely aware of what everyone is doing with their pelvis, or shoulders. 🙂

And thank you so much for that Mumford and Sons recommendation. LOVE! I need to send you a mixtape… er, mix CD, but they’ll always be “mixtapes” to me.

3. October 1, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Super cute puppy! I find lists like this to be a super relief..so nice to get it out of heads and hearts.

I read this quote today in one of my journals that I thought you might like…

“Life isn’t as serious as my mind makes it out to be.” – A New Earth

Sometimes just hearing that reminds me to let my worries go.

I so appreciate you and your energy! Have a great weekend.

• October 30, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Thank you so much, Shannon!