garlic scape pesto

Scapes

Image courtesy of purlingplans

We subscribed to a CSA this year- One Straw Farm is supplying most of our vegetables this summer. It's a great deal and I'm so excited to have begun- we have the opportunity to get all of these delicious local veggies and to try some new things, too.

Like scapes, for example- the twirly, curly tops of garlic. I've eaten them before, but never made anything with them, until this week. They were in my CSA box this week, and we were scrambling to look for something to make with these. I nibbled the edges, never having had one raw before, and the taste was somewhere between blanched garlic and sweet green grass. It was the perfect summer flavor, and I had no idea how to use it.

We were strolling through MOM's this weekend and lo and behold, the answer was handed to me: garlic scape pesto samples, complete with a recipe. There are no words for how fantastic these are- we bought thin- sliced, rustic whole- grain bread to eat this with.

Pesto

Garlic Scape Pesto

Ingredients:

10 garlic scapes, trimmed & chopped

1/3 cup roasted almonds

1/3 cup fresh- grated parmesan cheese

1/2 cup olive oil

sea salt, pepper

basil leaves, fresh

Instructions:

Use a food processor or a blender to mix the scapes, almonds, cheese and 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Stop the mixer, scrape the sides with a spatula, then add the rest of the oil and blend again. Add salt and pepper and blend one last time until your pesto is at the consistency you like best. Spread on lightly toasted bread or crackers, then top with grated parmesan cheese and one leaf of fresh basil.

You can freeze this to save it- it will hold for up to one year. If you're regrigerating leftovers, add a drop of olive oil and cover the surface with wax paper.

Nom.

One thought on “garlic scape pesto

1. mel
    June 17, 2010 at 12:43 pm

This looks heavenly! Thank you for sharing the recipe. We missed the window to get our garlic in the ground last fall, but were lucky to find some at our favorite farmer’s market a couple weeks back. I think they’re done now, but if I find any more I’m totally making this. I think the once a year timing only adds to the allure. yum, yum!!

2. June 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Oh, you’re absolutely right about the once- a- year thing; just like fiddleheads, the rarity makes it a sort of marker for the year.

3. June 18, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Aaaah! So very hungry now. That looks amazing. I may have to try growing garlic.

• June 23, 2010 at 2:41 pm

You should make some! This is so, so damned good on pasta. Also, it freezes beautifully.

4. June 29, 2010 at 12:22 pm

oh, this looks good! I’m growing garlic this year & the scapes I think are ready to harvest. I also have some basil growing.

• June 29, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Okay, I don’t know why but it has NEVER occurred to me to grow my own. After this pesto, I really want to, though- is it hard?

5. June 29, 2010 at 11:11 pm

This is my first time. I ordered the cloves from Seed Savers, planted as directed, and the only ones that didn’t make it were the ones that ended up blocked from sunlight by The Tomato Plant That Wouldn’t Die (and Kept Growing).

So….I don’t know how the actual garlic will be, but I will plant more next year assuming they come out even halfway tasty.

Definitely easier than other things I’ve tried (for example, all my winter squash either died or what fruit did start growing got all black & shriveled.)