on puppies (and penises)

IMG_5520

I know, I know. This was not supposed to happen. A mere two posts ago I was talking about how we “aren’t puppy people.” It surprised us, too: this wasn’t what we had planned for our weekend. We’d been talking to a rescue organization, but the dog they offered us was more a hospice case than a pet. I know there are people who can do that, but I just don’t think that’s where we are right now. The more we talked about it, the more we began thinking about talking to breeders about older, “pet quality” dogs. I thought we should consider a male in order to avoid some of the problems that can come with having two grown female dogs in a home— and to open up our options. Sam had been so against the idea, because dog penis freaked him out.

A note, before we go any further: this is all going somewhere relatively wholesome, I swear.

Another note, just to play it safe: if you found my website by googling “dog penis,” I’m very sorry but this probably isn’t what you’re looking for.

So. Where were we? Dog penis. Right.  Sam was squicked out by the idea of dog penis, but he’d always had bigger dogs. I couldn’t help but think that possibly it was an issue of scale, and suggested we look at some pug- mix puppies over the weekend to see how he felt. More accurately, we went to look at their penises and see if it freaked him out.

Obviously, he got over it.

Hugo on couch

So this is Hugo, our tiny little pug- something mix puppy. He’s about 4 pounds of roly- poly sweetness who sounds like a squeak toy when he yawns and reduces my crew to a mess
of babbling jelly every time he enters the room. He's a lot calmer than I expected, although I haven’t done the puppy thing in a long time. He spends most of his time sleeping, though, so it could still turn out to be all trickery yet.

One thought on “on puppies (and penises)

1. March 23, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Huuuuuugooooooo! i love it.
    i remember when Jonatha’s dog, Banjo, was a puppy. we were surprised at his ability to remain a little, quiet, wobbly ball of fur. and then, one day, POOF. Puppydomosity!!!!! Brace yourself. xox.

2. Gwynne
    March 23, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I am trying to convince my guy to go with me to a rescue. I think he is afraid he will come home with a similar friend for life.
    Wishing your whole family, including Hugo the best!

3. March 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm

My Arlo is so sweet and small (well, he’s a weight-proportionate (as I’m told “they” say in the singles ads) 11-pound Maltese (he’s a giant among his tribe). He’s lived with me since he was 8 weeks old.
    I outgrew his puppyhood (although it was hard to throw away the leftover singles from the Cole Haan shoes he chewed through in the middle stages) and can’t imagine life without him. Also, my grown sons tell me often how glad they are I have him for company now that they’re long-gone to other loves and lives.
    It’s still funny – when he’s stretched out on the sofa, with his head in my lap and his feet almost halfway into the other cushion – to feel his penis poking out into my leg. It’s soft (this is nothing sexual whatsoever!), but it’s also nice to know that he finds head-scratching to be so satisfying that his body responds in such a natural way. Yes, it was a little weird at first first, but the thought that biology may be destiny got me through it – and at least he doesn’t expect anything more than more head scratching!

4. March 23, 2010 at 9:36 pm

My husband is weirded out by the dog penis as well. That’s why we’ve only had girl dogs. He’s ok with male cats though.

5. March 24, 2010 at 10:43 am

OMG puppy breath, and such a sweet tiny face! I wish you guys the best of luck and happiness. 🙂

6. March 24, 2010 at 11:57 am

Squeee! Oh my goodness, but you are giving me dog fever! He’s lovely, and Hugo is such an awesome name.

7. trenchless sewer line replacement
    February 21, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Hi, just wanted to tell you, I enjoyed this post.
    It was practical. Keep on posting!