in which there is baking

You know that scene in the movie Castaway when Tom Hanks finally succeeds in building a fire? You know the bit I mean- he's standing in front of his bonfire, arms in the air, head tilted skyward, shouting, "I HAVE MADE… FIRE!"

Yeah, I feel something like that right now.

L1000828

Behold, my Brownies Of Ultimate Triumph.

Most of you are probably mightily unimpressed. Get over it. Who can't make brownies, you're thinking. You must not have been here for The Great Pie Disaster of 2000, or the Crepe Tragedy of 2004, or The Brick Breads of 2002, 2004, and 2009. I can cook- oh, can I cook– but I am deeply Baking Impaired.

I hate being told I can't do something. I also hate failure, which is just like being told I can't do something, especially when I've failed at a thing over and over and over. After a few days of being spoiled with on- hand, homemade goodies (thank you, Corrine!) I've gotten an itch. So tonight, I tried the training wheels of baking: brownies. I tried them in secret, while Sam was playing his video game (and was thus sure NOT to wander into the kitchen) and then baked them in my studio, just to be extrasneaky about it.

L1000804

They came out looking all right, so I called Sam in to look them over.

L1000810

He was justly nervous/ doubtful about the brownies.

L1000814

So was Kiddo. (That's right, that's my baby in the Dropkick Murphys shirt!)

L1000816

In the end, even Kiddo approved. (Eek, you can see my kitchen- in- the- works!)

L1000824

Of course, this is the sign of approval that I was really hoping for.

So hooray for baking success! Next up… well. I don't know. What comes after brownies?

One thought on “in which there is baking

1. Gingy
    June 28, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Hooray! Huzzah!
    (How did the bread pudding turn out?)

2. June 28, 2009 at 10:29 pm

OMG, I need that recipe. I’m just bound to make more brick bread, and that was SO supergood. (Especially with the whiskey sauce, which needs to go on EVERYDAMNEDTHINGEVER.)

3. June 30, 2009 at 1:02 am

There is always a sense of triumph in a successful baking experiment, regardless of skill level. Btw, I have a recipe for homemade crusty bread that my baking impaired aunt has mastered. Her daughter was convinced there was no hope left after several brick breads. There is always hope my friend!

4. mel
    July 2, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Awesome! 🙂 Every time I have success in the kitchen in general, I feel this way, even now that I’ve become fairly proficient. I think it comes from so much hot dogs and ramen in and after school.
    Your girl/that shirt? So. Awesome.

5. July 2, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Lex- I’d kill for that recipe! Care to share, please?

6. July 2, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Hooray! She bought that shirt herself at the concert, isn’t that nuts? She got to see them live last summer.

7. July 2, 2009 at 1:41 pm

I’m sorry! I had no intention of leaving you hanging like that. I’d meant to send it to you, but I was commenting from my phone right before I went to sleep and by the time I got up the next morning had completely forgot – mailing it now 🙂

8. Mia
    July 2, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I will share my secret brownie recipe with you next time I see you. You won’t believe it. It is super simple and tasty.
    Next should come clafouti. It is super easy to make and you can add fruit to it. I mean I taught a Boy Scout to make it and we baked it during a hearth cooking demo in the Dutch oven. The recipe I use is http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/9745?section=
    And how are you with cornbread? I may share my mother’s super secret Mexican cornbread that has pickled jalapeños in it.

9. July 2, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Sadly, anything with corn is out- Sam’s allergic/ sensitive, so we run corn- free house. But hooray for brownie secrets!