in which there is candy

swiss orange, originally uploaded by s.eyre.

Gryphon introduced me to the idea of sweet orange and dark chocolate together- she serves this amazing ice cream nearly every time I come over. Who knew?

There were four of these lovely orangey- chocolate truffles in the fantastic care package my in- laws sent the team. They made me so happy, and reminded me very much of Gryphon and Curt and Lia. I ate the last one today while wondering if I could make it home in time for this year's MDS&W.

One thought on “in which there is candy

1. Caroline
    January 11, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Hey, while we’re on the subject of care packages, I’d like to solicit your advice. My team at work is putting together a care package for our customer, who is currently in Afghanistan. I’d like to make him a small handknit item– what would you recommend? A hat maybe? Or would edible things be more welcome?

2. January 11, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Caroline,
    Thats fantastic! There’s something so personal about a handknit gift. It has been cold out here- I’m up by Kabul, which is pretty far north in Afghanistan, so this might not apply as much if he’s in Kandahar- but cowls/ neck gaiters are really popular out here. I get a fair amount of requests to make them for folks. Wristwarmers or fingerless gloves are popular, too, so people can do things and still keep their hands warm. I hope that helps!

3. Caroline
    January 13, 2009 at 10:31 am

Thanks for the feedback! It’s interesting how cowls seem to be popular overseas but no one really wears them here. I can’t really picture him in one, though. He’s at Bagram air base just north of Kabul, so I imagine it’s quite cold up there.

4. Caroline
    January 13, 2009 at 10:32 am

5. January 13, 2009 at 10:44 am

Oh wow- he’s stationed in the same place I am! Well, hats would be good, too- it’s cold here at night! Or again, with the fingerless gloves. It’s snowing today- I bet he’d love something handmade to keep warm with!

6. January 16, 2009 at 10:37 am

Oddly enough, I dislike chocolates with orange inside. It has to be orange sorbet with chocolate bits. We’ll be sure to stock up for your return 🙂