The second yarn is in the oven as I’m typing this.
Nicole sent me several images, too- three in fact.They were all very different, colorwise, so I chose one to work with- this gorgeous picture of sea- urchins.
(Reprinted here with permission from the very talented jo92.)
I love love love this image- this is something I’d do on my own. The warm rusted oranges and the cool purples- those tones presented a real challenge. The test colorway I’d run on some Falkland a few days ago came out all right- not perfect, but pretty, and it gave me the information I’d needed.
I set up to dye this yarn much the same way I’d set up for Heather’s yarn- soaked the yarn for 24 hours, set it in a roasting pan with some Falkland roving.
I used Burnt Orange, Violet, Salmon, Purple, and (not shown) Deep Orange to dye this yarn- I wanted a wide variety of colors in this yarn.
I started by tilting the pan just a little in my sink, to keep all the colors from running down the fiber/ yarn. Then I added a pale wash of my first orange tones.
This image, actually- this is a great example of how fibers can take up the dyes very differently. The silk, on top, is more yellow than the pinkish Falkland in the lower part of the image.
Once I had my base orange down, I added violet to the other end.
That established my basic tones. Now, I mixed up variations- a darker concentration of salmon mixed with burnt orange splattered through the oranges, deeper violets in the other corner, as well as a line of a dark, dark purple.
This is approximately what I put into the oven about 2 hours ago. The end result will be a little softer, sweeter, more muted- not nearly as bright as this appears here. I’m really looking forward to seeing the end result on this- it’s a lot less predictable than Heather’s yarn was. I only hope I haven’t messed it up- this is the only skein of this yarn left!
Nicole, I hope this turns into what you’d been hoping for. Thanks for the challenge- this was so much fun to work on!